Clinical Supplies Job Readiness
Conducting clinical trials successfully at different sites across the globe requires delivering the regulated drug supply in the right dosage at the right time to ensure efficient and timely execution of the clinical trial. Here’s how Princeton Blue automated the logistics management process for a global pharmaceutical client to improve the supply chain efficiency of their clinical trial.
Please tell us about yourself
About the ClientThe client is a global Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company and offers high-quality products and services for diagnostics, research, development, and the manufacturing of biologics and novel therapies. The client’s focus areas include vaccine development and infectious diseases.
The supply chain logistics involved with getting the right drug in the right dosage to the right site on time is critical to running an expensive clinical trial efficiently. Lack of transparency in the supply chain processes presented the following challenges:
- Complex interdependent tasks: Efficient execution of a clinical trial requires coordination of logistical activities across the globe and involves complex supply chains and interdependent tasks executed by global teams.
- Siloed systems: Data sourced from a variety of siloed legacy applications that don’t talk to each other, results in inaccurate execution of logistical operations.
- Time loss in mundane tasks: Extensive manual work was required to keep all the systems and records up to date, thereby taking up valuable time in mundane tasks.
- Lack of visibility: Because of manual and siloed execution, there was no visibility into the most updated status of tasks. Delays in critical tasks were not noticed and impacted the clinical trial schedules.
- Lack of Real-time Collaboration: The use of Excel and SharePoint led to a lack of notifications, resulting in inefficiency and longer cycle times.
Please tell us about yourself
Princeton Blue leveraged the Appian Low-code platform to create an innovative end-to-end, fully integrated, mobile-ready solution to streamline the logistics management process for the trials.
The solution automated the handling of logistics supply with regulated drug supply around the world and created a fully customizable and completely integrated
application that enabled tracking tasks needed to coordinate the delivery of experimental drugs to a site.
It provided deep insight into “Job Readiness” via real-time visibility into inter-dependent tasks and their SLA’s, provided notifications and sent reminders to get the mandatory approvals for the drugs to be used in clinical trials and allowed different teams to collaborate via a unified platform.
- Reduced the new label approval cycle to under 6 months.
- Headquarters could initiate label update submissions in real time, with country participants retroactively completing steps within a highly visible and tracked system to synchronize with real-world deadlines.
- Inbuilt form validation in the system helped to reduce form-fill errors, improving accuracy, and reducing delays.